Saturday, November 11, 2017

Veteran's Day


We drove up to Connecticut to have lunch with my three sisters.  We arrived in Milford a bit early so I drove by City Hall.  I decided to photograph it, and then on the way back to the car I noticed this statue of a soldier.  It is a beautiful sculpture of a WWI doughboy and a memorial to 22 soldiers from Milford, who made the ultimate sacrifice in the First World War. It was dedicated in 1928.  A sobering reminder of the cost of war.


This is Milford City Hall, which is just over a hundred years old.  It was designed to resemble Thomas Jefferson's Monticello.  It is a very photogenic building from both the front and the back, and is considered modern colonial style.  Behind the building is a pond and waterfall which makes a stunning photograph, but the light has to be right.  Remind me to photograph it in the spring, please.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the photo of the soldier - perfect for Veteran's Day. betsey