Friday, September 17, 2021

The Farmall Cub Tractor


I was looking at the farm equipment parked around the barns, and I saw this tractor and a lightbulb went off in my head.  I asked Nat what year that tractor was from, and he said around 1955.  I said that I recognized this tractor - Grandpa Spencer had one of these on the farm in Guilford!  Before he had the tractor I remember him walking behind two horses with a single blade horse drawn plow!  Then he got a Farmall Cub tractor just like this!  I remember the thrill of getting to drive it - in 1955 I was 13 years old! I started asking Nat about the specs for the tractor and he said that the engine was 11 horsepower!  That seems like so little, but the tractor when it's working moves slowly so the engine is geared way down, and 11 horsepower is enough. What an amazing thing to be taken back in history, seeing this tractor.  Nat actually has two of them and they are real workhorses and they are used all the time on the farm!


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can picture your excitement and this tractor bringing back memories. A million questions, as usual. :-)
Is the second photo of the Guilford tractor? I am thinking it is not because it is a color photo, but the barn looks a little like Guilford.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Great memories for you! I'm sure you had a zillion questions for Nat about this tractor. What a fun day for you...betsey