Thursday, September 3, 2026

Gloria Steinem 1934 – 2026


I was so lucky in my career to photograph so many famous people.  The truth is, I probably loved photographing "regular" people more because I could spend time talking to them after the shoot and I also could take more time with our photo session.  For famous people like Gloria Steinem it was more likely that I photographed her during an interview, or had 10 minutes to photograph her at the end of the interview.   I think I photographed her in about 1975.  Ms. magazine was founded in 1971 and I think I did these photographs in her office at Ms.  She was so nice and was an easy subject to photograph.


 What was interesting, that in addition to photographing her I photographed so many more women who were involved in the Women's Movement back then.  I was working for the magazine and they did a lot of interviews with those women.  I was just working at the right time to photograph them.  What is wonderful is to read the Wikipedia entry for her and read all the things she and of course the other women accomplished.  One thing I forgot about was "Take Your Daughter to Work Day." Gloria Steinem had an amazing life and did so much for other women, both young and old.  It was difficult to pick which photograph is my favorite.  The first image shows her face when she is more lively, but it kills me that she is holding a cigarette in her fingers!  So I included the second photograph.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were lucky to photograph so many people in your career. She did so much to open up the world for women. A life well lived. Joan

Betsey said...

I had the same reaction to her holding the cigarette. I do like her expression. She was well known for advocating for women’s rights, workplace equality and reproductive rights. Quite a legacy.