Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Hamptons Traffic


Huh? What? But those are fish nets. Let me explain... Now that the summer season has arrived, the traffic to the Hamptons is horrific. So after I cross the Shinnecock Canal, I get off of Sunrise Highway, and go south to East Montauk Highway, which runs along the shore of Shinnecock Bay for a bit. I have passed these fish nets many times lately but never stopped. Usually the nets are mostly submerged. They are part of a fish trap. Fish swim along the shore and when they run into the net they head toward deeper water, following the net seaward. At the outer end of the net, there is a maze, and another net which can be lifted into a boat to harvest the fish. This is one of my more quiet photos, but I love the rhythms inherent in the picture.

No comments: