Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Bug


I traveled to Vermont today for the Stellafane Convention of amateur telescope makers, and I traveled with my friend Mike, from Tucson. Fortunately he is an "aircraft nut" as I am, so we stopped at the New England Air Museum near Bradley International Airport, in Windsor Locks, Connecticut. More airplanes (and helicopters) than you could shake a stick at. Some in beautiful condition, some looking pretty warn, waiting their chance for restoration. This is a CH-54B Sikorsky Skycrane, which is a heavy lift helicopter built in Stratford, Connecticut back in 1962. Some of them are still in service. They look like mechanical praying mantis' it seemed to me - some kind of mechanical bug. An impressive aircraft back in its time, a bit sad to see this one in this condition.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Might the scars be from some pretty intense service? If only this 'bug' could tell it's story.