Sunday, February 10, 2013

An Act of Kindness

OK, you're right this is a pretty ordinary photograph. But it represents a really generous act of kindness. We have been in Philadelphia for three days, and we drove back home this morning I knew that I would have to shovel the driveway, and I kept a shovel on the front porch at the ready. Imagine our surprise when we came up the street, and saw that half the driveway had already been cleared with a snow blower! Our neighbor Judy, who feeds our cats, left us a note. She was shoveling her driveway, when a neighbor offered to help her finish the job. And she said "Do you think you could clean part of the Spencer's driveway? They are away." So this neighbor, Jason, brought his snow blower down and spent half an hour cleaning our driveway! I know him to wave to and say "Hi!" to but that's about it. What a wonderful act of kindness. I went over to thank him, and we spent some time chatting, and I asked if either he or his wife or their two children would like to see the moon and planets through one of my telescopes. He said his son is really fascinated about astronomy, and they would LOVE to look through my telescopes! So I will be able to repay his kindness in some small way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heart warming to have kind & thoughtful neighbors!
Joan

Anonymous said...

The astronomy experience is such a nice way to repay a kindness, but I bet this family would LOVE to have an ace photographer takes pictures of them!
Neighbors can make our lives more pleasant, or they can make our lives like hell.
You're lucky to have great ones.

Ken Spencer said...

That's a brilliant idea! A family photo! Thanks for the suggestion! And yes, it is wonderful to have great neighbors. We are lucky enough to have 5 families who are wonderful. What are the chances of that happening. So lucky indeed!

Anonymous said...

blessed!! what goes around comes back around.