Wednesday, October 18, 2017

More Lava


So many different landscapes on the different islands of Hawaii.  This is an area where black lava flowed all the way to the ocean.  Next to this area is a black sand beach which is also amazing to see.


On the way to the black sand beach, we stopped to look at a lava field, and I saw this.  I was first drawn to this scene because of the light colored grasses.  Then I saw the small opening in this lava flow.  Not sure if this is a miniature lava tube that is nearly filled up.  It is interesting in any case.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the black sand beach on the big island of Hawaii? Love the second photo - looks like an eye peeking out. betsey

Ken Spencer said...

I will have to look up the name of the black sand beach. Yes, it is on the big island of Hawaii.

Ken Spencer said...

I just looked it up. It is Punalu'u Black Sand Beach. You leave the airport at Kona, and head down the west side of the island, then turn the corner at the bottom and start up the southeast side, toward Volcano, then you will find the beach.

Ron said...

The first thing I saw when I looked at this was the face of an old man that had been trapped in the lava. The hole is his mouth, set in a frown. His nose right above that and his eyes are covered with lava.

Ken Spencer said...

I See It! Wow, very cool. Thanks for finding him!

Anonymous said...

Haha! I looked back and can now see the nose. Much better than just an eye... betsey