Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Digging Bait


I went down to the beach to look around.  It usually works, when I am desperate.  I saw this man digging on the sandbar.  I thought he might be looking for hardshell clams, although given the state of the harbor, you would NOT want to be eating clams from Hempstead harbor.  I was trying to try and get something different, so I shot through the marsh grasses in a desperate attempt to get something that looked different.  So I did that, but I am thinking it is not all that successful.


Here is a "straight" version of the photograph.  It probably gives us more information because I am a bit closer.  I included the water draining across the sandbar to add some more interest.  I think it is better than the first photograph.


I went up to the man with the shovel, and asked what he was digging.  I don't speak Spanish so I wan't able to communicate easily with the fisherman.  So I think he was digging clams, but not hardshell clams.  When I asked, he went to his bucket and brought out these two things which he had dug up.  I think they are parts of clams.  If they were razor clams, they would still have a long hard shell.  In any case, I think I understood that he was digging bait, so that later on he would go fishing.  That thing in his palm that looks like a piece of bacon kept curling up into a circle and then uncurling.  It was the strangest thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the first photo. Creepy looking bait.
Joan