Friday, April 13, 2007

The Easter Lilly


Late Saturday afternoon, a week ago, I went over to Buchenkirks florist to buy an Easter lilly for the dining room table, as I do every year. When I got there, there were about a dozen plants on one table, but none of them had an open blossom. On the next table there was one solitary plant, and it had one blossom, so I chose that one. When it was time to pay for it, the woman said “Oh, that’s a double, and it is $25, instead of $15 for the singles.” Ouch! That was a bit more than I wanted to pay, but what the heck. It apparently has two trunks and there were closed blossoms all over the place! I brought it home, and the next day there were three blossoms open, and the next day probably six were open! I had never seen so many blossoms on a plant like this before! They just looked like clouds of blossoms! And the aroma is heavenly. So today I decided to photograph the plant. It doesn’t seem like the photograph does the plant justice.

No comments: