Sunday, October 9, 2022

In Memory of Deceased Members...


This seems like a good time to show you yet another sculpture of a human figure, after my posts about the Civil War and WWII memorials in Rhode Island with their beautiful sculptures.  This statue is more local - it is in a nearby town.  It is in memory of deceased members of a fire department.  I first saw it when it was installed in the early 1980's.  I remember being surprised at this the first time I saw it.  The proportions of the fireman just seemed strange.  I did wonder about the people who commissioned this sculpture.  I wonder if the artist created a maquette, which is a scale model or rough draft of an unfinished sculpture,  which everyone could see before giving the go ahead in creating the full sized statue.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A lovely tribute, but his coat is so long and his boots look so heavy, how can he run? I think of firemen wearing overall pants and much shorter jackets so that can crawl or climb out windows or up the ladders.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I noticed how big his hands are! This piece is definitely not to scale...betsey