Wednesday, March 27, 2024

A RAINBOW!


After dinner tonight I left the house at about 6:30  It had been raining most of the day.  As I drove by the harbor, I saw the sun break through some clouds as it was close to setting.  "Looks pretty amazing" I thought because there were rain showers around a a beautiful atmospheric effect.  Then I turned the corner down by the old power plant and started to climb the mile long hill.  I didn't get far before I saw the most spectacular rainbow I have ever seen in my entire life!  It was a perfect bow - 180 degrees of rainbow.  I quickly pulled over and grabbed my camera but realized the rainbow spanned a huge area of the sky, so used my new iPhone 14 with it's wide angle setting to get this photograph.  I didn't like all the wires so got back in the car and drove a few blocks more, and took some more photos, with both my iPhone and my Sony camera.  And then I did a really smart thing.  I just sat in my car with the wipers on - it was raining - and decided to just take this all in, so I sat there quietly and carefully observed the beauty of this spectacular rainbow!  No photos, just looking.  After a couple of minutes, I drove on, but stopped at two more places as I drove east where I took photographs.  But I hold that image in my mind, where I just sat quietly and observed.  What an incredible experience.  So here are a few more photographs because I just could not make up my mind which were my favorites!  These photographs are a bit darker but that way you can see more detail in the colors of the rainbow.  OH, and look for the double bow - another much fainter rainbow outside the main bow.  It is very faint but can be seen in some of these photographs.















7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is an amazing 180-degree rainbow! Enjoyed the different views of the rainbow too. Trace

Anonymous said...

Spectacular photo of the beautiful rainbow. I love that you sat and just relaxed and admired the beauty. You finally updated your phone - WOW! I am still using my 8.
Joan

Anonymous said...

And you will notice that the colors in the fainter rainbow are intervened/opposite of the brighter rainbow. That is missed by many people. Wonderful pictures Ken!

Mark

Ken Spencer said...

Mark: I missed the reversed colors at first! Duh! But it was wonderful seeing two bows.

ken schwarz said...

These rainbow photos fall into the category of "being at the right place at the right time". I especially like the top pic wires and all. It's rare to be in a position to see a rainbow from end to end. Way to go Mr. Spencer, photographer extraordinaire!

Anonymous said...

Unsure where this was taken, but we saw a similar one at the same time driving home from a wake in NJ to Long Island. Stayed with us for about a half hour. Truly amazing.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all the rainbow photos. Love the 180 degree one without wires. Glad you enjoyed the beautiful view. I never realized that the second rainbow’s colors are reversed. Thank you, Mark. Betsey