Thursday, April 15, 2010

"The Artist Is In"



I went to the Museum of Modern Art today to see the Henri Cartier-Bresson exhibit of photographs. And I accidentally stumbled into this astounding exhibit of performance art, by Marina Abramovic. The artist is in red, and a visitor to the exhibit sits opposite her and they stare into each others eyes, sometimes for an hour. The performance begins when the museum opens, she does not move or take a break or eat, until the museum closes. A visitor gets up and is replaced by another. It is a profound thing to witness. I spent an hour just watching and thinking about what was taking place in front of me. I cannot tell you what it means, or exactly how it affected me, but I was deeply moved.

1 comment:

Chuck said...

I can't imagine doing that...sitting on either side of the table under those conditions. Pretty interesting, to say the least.