Friday, February 17, 2012

Forbidden Land


On my walk, I noticed a partly open gate in a fence that surrounds a piece of land by the harbor. The land has been vacant as long as I have lived here. Recently I read a couple of articles that explained that this parcel was where some kind of plant was once located, and I *think* it made coal gas from coal, or something. Bottom line, it had some hazardous waste here at one time. I think I remember perhaps 10 years ago, there was construction equipment and they put a clay cap over the bad part. Anyhow, I always wondered what was there, and the opening in the gate was just large enough to squeeze through. So I didn't find much, but there were these grasses, and the way they twist and turn reminds me of the fur on an animal. Sort of. I find that it is really beautiful, and I spent a long time trying to find an interesting composition.

No comments: