Thursday, February 8, 2024

A Time of Reflection


This is one of my favorite photographs, taken in Canyon de Chelly on Navajo land in Arizona.  I made a print of this and added some lyrics from the tone poem Finlandia, for orchestra, by Jean Sibelius.  I stumbled across the photo and lyrics the other day, and suddenly realized how important the lyrics are in the present day, with wars and strife all over the globe..  It is heartbreaking to think of all the present conflicts of country against country.  We might even have a tendency to take sides in the different wars, but I think these words add perspective.  Reading these words again just choked me up, given what is going on.  I hope you will find that they show us how all of us as humans are connected together in much deeper ways.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, peaceful scene and the poem is touching and so true. Trace

ken schwarz said...

A spectacular photograph and inspiring poem.

Anonymous said...

Love it!

Anonymous said...

Love this photo. I have a copy hanging in my living room. It’s lovely to look at to relax in the shade of the tree. What a wonderful poem. Thank you for posting. Betsey