Friday, February 7, 2020

St. George's Church


I went down to a tool store in Hempstead, NY today.  When I came out, the sky was a dark dark gray, and a church spire and  a cupola with a clock were illuminated by the sun against the dark sky.  I walked toward a spot to photograph that view, but then I saw this beautiful, historic church. Here is what the signs say:  St. George’s Church, Episcopan-Anglican 1735.  "George II by the grace of God of Great Britain, France and Ireland King, defender of the faith to all to whom these presents shall come.  Greeting!  Wherea’s we have been informed that Saint George’s church has been erected dedicated to Almighty God."  Wow, this church has been around for a while, and it is just beautiful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love looking at churches. They are all beautiful in some way and reveal the times and ideals of the planners and builders. It is amazing how some are so simple and others fancy and ornamental. This is a lovely simple church. I love the style, the white picket fence in front and the way the trees seem to frame it. I, however, gasped at the proclamation about King George II "by the grace of God" being the king to Ireland. I don't think an Irish soul ever, living or dead, would agree with that! lol Great photo. Trace

Ken Spencer said...

That's funny, Trace, about King George II being the king of Ireland! I guess every Irishman alive would also agree with you!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful old church. And lovely to have the fence in the foreground. betsey