Thursday, February 13, 2020

"Untitled" (Placebo)


So this is probably my best photograph in a long time!  When I looked in the viewfinder and saw this I got a tingle.  I went to the Rubin Museum with Stan and Ann today.  This is part of an exhibit called "Measure Your Existence" with exhibits by six artists.  This artwork is titled "Untitled" (Placebo)  by Felix Gonzalez-Torres, first created in 1991. The explanation: “In this manifestation of "Untitled" (Placebo), silver-wrapped hard candies are arranged as a large carpet on the floor.  Visitors can choose to take individual pieces of candy, making them active participants in the changing physical form of the work.  As the pile dwindles, the Museum can replenish and regenerate the supply of candy as it sees fit.  The work has an ideal weight of 1,000 to 1,200 pounds, and the candies can be configured in different ways each time it is exhibited.  The gesture of taking a candy from the piece can be understood as a means of registering the transitory nature of each moment and the poetic boundaries between public and private, art and life.” The candy I took was lemon flavored.

4 comments:

Ann Levin said...

Thanks, Ken. Wonderful picture, and a great day!

ken schwarz said...

This work reminds of an exhibit I saw at the Getty Museum last year but the living (or, rather decaying) art involved cigarettes and not foil wrapped hard candy. The colors and simplicity of this photo are very pleasing; I especially like the kneeling women who is in the scene but not dominant to the subject. A very nice photo!

Ken Spencer said...

Primo: Thanks so much for your nice comments. I don't remember seeing any exhibit at the Getty with decaying cigarettes. I must have just missed it. What time of year were you there?

Anonymous said...

When I first looked at the photo, I thought the exhibit was made out of Hershey Kisses. Can you imagine the mess the Kisses would make when they melt from the lights!! Then I read your blog. Thank goodness they are hard candies!! betsey