Monday, November 27, 2023

Fading Colors Of Fall


Whenever I go to what I call "Eastman House" (It is actually called the George Eastman Museum") I start looking for photographs the second I get out of my car.  And I am always carrying my camera, and I am never disappointed.  This granite wall is at the end of the West Garden.  Built in 1917, the West Garden was designed by architect Claude Bragdon, who modeled it after an English walled garden designed by Sir Edward Lutyens and Gertrude Jekyll at Hestercombe House in Somerset, England.  On the opposite side of this wall is an roofed area with three arched entrances, and then a magnificent garden between this structure and the main house.  I love the faded colors of the leaves and vines here, which are emphasized by the neutral gray color of the granite.


So this is exciting!  I was bugged because I was incapable of describing the other side of the granite wall.  So on a hunch, I googled "Eastman Garden" and found this photograph that I did of the West Garden from the mansion.  Now you can see what I was trying to describe.  I am sure the arched structure has a name but I'll be darned if I have ever heard of what it is called.  Anyhow, now you know what it looks like!




 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The vines bring an artistic touch to this photo.
Joan

Anonymous said...

A nice contrast between both your photos - Autumn and Spring. The garden is stunning with the arched walls in the distance. I really like the subtle colors in front of the beautiful granite wall in the West Garden. Betsey