Wednesday, October 2, 2024

A Sky Full of Stars


Tonight's program at our astronomy meeting was a presentation by the director of the planetarium, Dave, under the dome of the planetarium.  This is a state of the art projector and the realism of the sky is amazing.  There are so many stars in the dark, that you can't find even the major constellations.  And that can happen in real life, as it did for me in Maine one year, when I went to a cemetery late at night to do some stargazing. But Dave took his time to show us individual constellations by projecting the lines connecting the stars of each constellation.  It was a joy to be under a dark skies filled with stars again.  When I was in Vermont this summer at the Stellafane Convention, we were rained out both nights, so it has been a while.  Being under a sky filled with stars is good for the soul - it connects us more deeply to the universe.  My spirits were lifted when I left the meeting tonight.

 

No comments: