Monday, August 10, 2026

"Heavenly Bodies" at the Met


I have posted here about two recent exhibits I saw in Manhattan. You have seen the one about the Giacometti sculptures at the Met.  There were two other exhibits at the Met.  One of them was called "Heavenly Bodies" which included a series about unusual musical instruments.  This is a "PianoArc 360"  piano, and as you can see, it is stunning.  It is an electronic instrument because there is no where to have the "piano strings" or musical wires where the keys control the hammers that strike the strings.  I cannot imagine how this is played, but it must be something to watch.  What a cool device!

 

2 comments:

Joan Edwards said...

This is a wonderful photo, but my first instinct was that it was about the woman statue. WOW1 I never imagined a circular piano. Do you think it has twice as many keys as a normal piano?

Ken Spencer said...

Joan: I didn't see that written anywhere. When I get a chance I will count them and get back to you. I can't imagine how someone plays that, and if some of the keys give a different timbre than others.