"The Morning After" is a funny name for this photograph, but it is definitely appropriate! At the Bed & Breakfast where I stay, there are a whole bunch of other amateur astronomers who stay there as well. When it is time for observing, I stay up on the hill at Stellafane. But a few of them stay down here at the inn because the owner keeps a large area of grass mowed short so they can set up their telescopes right here, and after they are done, they cover them with waterproof fabric to keep them from getting wet from dew. I have to unload my telescope, carry is some distance, set it up, and when I am done I carry it back down to my car and then drive back to the B&B. Anyhow when they are done, they just leave the scopes where they are and go inside and sleep! So here are two scopes in the morning after being out all night after an observing session. I got to spend some time looking through the black shrouded telescope to the left and the views were fantastic.
Sunday, August 16, 2026
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
That is one HUGE Telescope. What do you think it weighs?
Seems much easier to leave that large telescope in one spot. Must be heavy and awkward to move around. Glad you were able to spend time with it.
These telescopes come in three or four parts. There is the ground board, and then the rocker box then the mirror box and then the cage. The cage is connected to the mirror box with 8 aluminum tubes and the whole thing is designed to be assembled quickly. The black fabric covers up the aluminum tubes and the fabric blocks stray light. So, yes it is heavy when assembled. but the individual parts are not that heavy which is why they can easily brought to observing sites and then assembled there.
Post a Comment