Wednesday, May 16, 2007

A Brilliant Mind


I photographed a most amazing man the other day! He is 91 years young, was an industrial designer working in Lucite and stainless steel and made the first tableware using those materials after the war. He became a very successful businessman, and "retired" about 20 years ago. To keep active, he started doing sculptures in lucite as a hobby. This photo is a detail of one of his first pieces, and it is just beautiful to look at. I have chosen a detail as perhaps a bit more exciting than a photo of the whole piece. His more recent work involves both clear and colored resins and the pieces are unimaginably beautiful. But the lesson I carry away from this assignment is how vital and alive he is, in being actively engaged in life and his art. He is now my role model for when I am a few years older!

No comments: