Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Sanitarium


I was on my way to the airport the other day to go flying, and caught a glimpse of some abandoned buildings as I drove by. I had some time to spare, so turned around to investigate. At first glance, these looked like buildings built a long time ago as mental hospitals, something I am familiar with, having done a photo essay some years ago on the abandoned mental hospitals on Long Island. Spent about an hour there photographing about 5 of the buildings. At this building, one of the smaller ones, someone had ripped off an outside screen and opened the windows. I just walked up and started photographing. I spent perhaps 10 minutes framing the image several different ways. This is my favorite. I did a search later and found that this facility consisted of nine buildings and was constructed between 1911 and 1931 as a home to the Monroe County Tuberculosis Sanitarium.

No comments: