Saturday, May 19, 2007

The Moon and Venus


It's raining on Long Island, but I am in upstate New York, fortunately. Saturday night, the moon was in conjunction with Venus - they were within 2 degrees of each other, a relatively rare occurrence. I first saw the crescent moon just after sunset, and since I was driving west, up through the finger lakes, I had the two in view through the front of my windshield for a couple of hours. What a gorgeous sight, to see these two together! I stopped in Interlaken, NY and made this photo before the sky became completely black, giving me the ability to show the silhouette of the tree in the foreground to add a bit more interest. An hour after I took this, I stopped to shoot them again in the black sky, and Venus looked like the blazing headlight of an oncoming train, it was so bright!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ken,

it was really beautiful to watch.
i did it too, but i was in kaumberg.
Kaumberg is close to vienna, austria.

kind regards from there
gerhard