When I was down photographing the water company workers, I wandered just a small distance down the sidewalk to look at this little park. It is not very big, but has maybe 5 benches that people can sit on while looking out at the harbor. I used to stop here at the end of my bike ride and cool down. I realized recently that the park looks so much nicer! The lawn is no longer bare and someone has made this beautiful garden of flowers. So I spent some time looking for the best view. I love the geese seen through an opening of the fence. Oh, they have a sign there that says this piece of the land is called Rum Point.
Monday, July 20, 2026
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Pretty little garden. Looks like a nice place to stop and rest. Trace
It is wonderful that someone planted this beautiful flower garden for all to enjoy as they sit and relax in the park.
Another beautiful photograph!
The garden looks like a beautiful and restful place to stop and enjoy the views. I wonder if there is a story on why it’s called Rum Point…
OK, I looked it up and it is as I suspected: "The name Rum Point in Sea Cliff is almost certainly a reference to Prohibition-era rum-running. Local historical sources state that the point at the end of Prospect Avenue became known as "Rum Point" because it was used as a landing site by rum-runners during Prohibition (1920–1933). Boats carrying illegal liquor across Long Island Sound would land there, taking advantage of the secluded shoreline along Hempstead Harbor. The location itself would have made sense for clandestine landings:
It's tucked into Hempstead Harbor, the steep bluff and relatively isolated shoreline provided some cover. And from there, liquor could be transported inland by automobile after being unloaded from boats.
Very interesting. Thanks for the update about Rum Point.
Post a Comment