I went to Mass MoCA of course as I always do when in Vermont. Mass MoCA is in North Adams, Mass, and is about an hour and twenty minute drive. There are always wonderful surprises each year when I visit. This is the first sculpture you see when you enter the first gallery. It is a huge sculpture and hangs in a three-story gallery - it goes up to the ceiling. The sculpture is by Cecilia Vicuna, and is titled Quipu desaparecido. It is made from unspun wool and climbing rope inside. Here is a closer view...
When you view it and walk around it, and actually you are encouraged to gently walk through it, it is an amazing thing to see and contemplate. There are very powerful feelings evoked when you are close to it.
As you walk around it, the color of the light illuminating it changes it when you watch from a different direction. This was a joy to see and a pleasure to contemplate and I spent perhaps half an hour photographing it and looking at it. It was the most interesting artwork in the museum this year. Cecilia Vicuna is based in New York, NY and Santiago, Chile. Her quipu installations, of which this is one, are woven metaphors for the cosmos and resilience. There was so much more information about her and the sculpture, but I thought I would include one sentence so you might get some sense of what this is about. But I found I didn't need to know that. I just needed to be in the presence of it and feel "something" from it that was such a nice experience.




No comments:
Post a Comment