I was in line at the fish counter at our grocery store. While I was waiting I happened to see this - I mean it is really hard to miss - seeing some hard, pure white "stuff" in a box in the fresh fish section! It hardly looks like something to eat at all! I could not imagine what someone could make to eat starting with this! Dried and salted cod has been produced for over 500 years in Newfoundland, Iceland and the Faroe Islands and in Norway! I thought it was dried and salted on the fishing boat, but it was actually dried and salted on shore, so that it could be shipped long distances and stored up to a couple of years! So, below is an excerpt from "The Joy of Cooking" about what to do with the salt cod in order to turn it into a meal! Coming from New England, I had heard about salt cod all my life, but I had never seen it before! Wow, 48 hours of rinsing it to get all the salt out of it!
Thursday, August 6, 2026
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment