Friday, June 22, 2007

The Ribbon Cutting


This is funny in a way, that I would actually shoot a ribbon cutting. In the old days of newspapering, particularly at smaller papers, ribbon cuttings and handshake photos (known as "grip and grins") were considered worthwhile photos for publication. Fortunately, when I began work at Newsday in 1966, Harvey Weber, who was the director of photography, said "We don't do ribbon cuttings and we don't do grip and grins!" So it seemed so strange last night to be standing watching a ribbon cutting! Friends of ours own a commercial building, and a new grocery store has just opened in the building, so we were invited to the opening. So here I am standing watching a ribbon cutting, and I couldn't help myself... I would finally do my first ribbon cutting shot! Fortunately the curious children were there, and the mayor had a strange look on his face, so just maybe this is more than a plain old ribbon cutting shot.

No comments: