Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Why I Go To Work Each Day


This is the reason I go to work each day. Because I meet people like this. His name is Larry Goldstein, and he has been retired for 17 years as a machine shop teacher for the New York City school system. I went to his house to photograph him and his tomato plants. He happened to mention he had a basement with "trains and airplanes" in it. I said I really needed to see the airplanes, at least. I was unprepared for his basement! His "train" is a live steam engine which he machined over a period of 25 years. The "planes" were large scale radio controlled aircraft! Then there was his shop - an engine lathe, a milling machine, drill presses, sanders, saws and one each of every tool you could possibly imagine! We spent an hour touring the basement, and talking. He has a collection of model aircraft engines, the kinds that I grew up with as a kid, and built model aircraft for. We couldn't walk two feet without picking up some other cool thing and having a discussion about it! So I go to work each day to take really nice photographs, but on the really special days, I meet someone like Larry Goldstein, who is so passionate about the things he does in life, and am reminded why I love my job!

No comments: