Thursday, July 23, 2009

Bent


I went to the city today to see the Richard Avedon exhibit of fashion photographs. Stunning show. I also visited a couple of other places, including the NY Public Library behind Bryant Park. While headed back from there I saw this image. First, I noticed the tower in the distance going up into the clouds. That building is the Bank of America Tower. It was only at the last minute that I noticed the apparent distortion of the curved building to the right in the photo. Only thing is, it is not distorted! That's how it looks - it is the Grace building on 42nd street. When it was first under construction, perhaps 20 years ago, I was fascinated to see that the base of the building curves inward from both sides.

3 comments:

ken schwarz said...

At first glance, I thought this neat photo was shot with a 12 mm lens. Your mention of Bryant Park and the NY Public Library bring back memories when I worked in the city from 1969 to 1972 on 6th Avenue at 41st Street. I would often get a deli sandwich and sit in the park for lunch.

Ken Spencer said...

What's astounding are the changes they have made in the park. Years ago it was a hangout for druggies. Now, with beautiful grass everywhere, and gravel paths, and black metal chairs and tables, it feels like Paris. Not that I have ever been to Paris...

Anonymous said...

What I like about this is how well the the buildings complement each other to bring out the uniqueness of the others. Well done.