Thursday, July 9, 2009

Looking At The Falls


I haven't been to these falls, here in Upstate New York, in about 20 years, so we decided to stop today on the way to Rochester. I spent about an hour here, shooting everything in sight, of course. When I was leaving I came back up to this level from down below, and saw this couple looking at the falls, transfixed, as I had been. I managed to grab 2 or 3 frames before they moved, and started taking pictures of their own of the falls. There is something about the way they are standing, almost exactly mirroring each other. It is a simple composition, but it held me for some reason. Maybe the colors had something to do with it. And since I had spent so much time photographing the falls, it was interesting that in this photo you can hardly see the falls at all, which maybe makes the photo more interesting. More on the falls tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why doesn’t he take my hand or put his arm around me?
He stands there with his hands in his pockets and wonders why I say he’s not romantic.
I’m not reaching out to him first again. I’ve done it so many times in this long, long marriage and I just don’t want to do it any more. I feel like I’m begging for affection. I’m tired of feeling alone, even when we’re together. Mother calls him a typical man. But I see other couples smiling and touching, still in love with each other. Still in love with being in love. They’re our age. Why can’t we be like them? Why doesn’t he understand what I need?
Turn and look at me. Hug me, please. Make the first move. Make me feel pretty again.

Ken Spencer said...

Oh wow! A completely different take on this situation! Hard to know the truth, of course, but I like that it turns my brain around in my head - I never would have thought of this. Nice work, and thanks!