Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Didgeridoo


The didgeridoo (also known as a didjeridu or didge) is a wind instrument of the Aborigines of northern Australia. It is sometimes described as a natural wooden trumpet or "drone pipe". I have always wanted one of these since visiting Australia back in 1996. I finally bought one when visiting Los Angeles last December. I can do a drone with it but not do "circular breathing" yet. Anyhow, I got it out to show Sonia when she and her mom were visiting, and she being a curious child, asked if she could play it. Her first attempt produced a squeak. I thought it was because her lips were thin. I was wrong! I suggested she relax her lips when she tried again, and out of the didge came this amazing drone sound! We were all stunned! Never underestimate the power of a really smart child.

No comments: