Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Art, or Not...


When I see kinds of art that I am unfamiliar with, I really take the time to try and understand it.  I owe this attitude to a college professor who, in music and art classes that he taught, told us of brilliant masterworks that were poorly received and disparaged when first performed or seen. So I really do try to understand new things.  But this piece, called "The Cavern," although interesting to see, really didn't move me, sad to say.  It was on display at a nearby art museum, along with paintings by the same artist as well.  The paintings didn't work for me either.  There was another exhibit upstairs of paintings by graffiti artists.  I am famous for spending 5 or 6 hours in a new museum that I haven't seen before.  But this day, I was done with all the exhibits in less than an hour.  I should consider that a personal failing on my part.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is not a failing. You need to feel the art or music and have it speak to you, make you smile or wonder. Betsey wanted me to go to New Britain Museum with her to Salvador Dali exhibit. I chose not to join her because his work gives me the creeps. I want to feel peaceful or intrigued.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Although I am not a huge Dali fan, I saw a lot of his art I never knew he did - a series for Alice in Wonderland, Tarot cards plus more. I don't consider it a failing if I don't like some particular art. It's just like music - I like most but not a big fan of Rap. So keep going to museums and sharing photos :-) bsk