Tuesday, October 3, 2017

How to Photograph a Tree


We went to a beautiful beach to do some snorkeling - Amy found that it was listed as one of the best snorkeling beaches in Hawaii.  When we arrived at the beach, I immediately noticed this sun bleached silver tree at one end of the beach.  I immediately started photographing it as the light changed and I tried different compositions.  I started with wide views and then moved in closer.  Two days later we came back for more swimming and things were different, so I took even more photographs. So here are four of the variations - you can pick your favorite.  And please let me know.




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very difficult to decide however, I prefer the last one. The way the rocks "fit'" inside the curve of the tree branch is perfect. I also like the little bit of green tree for color to add to all the brown rocks and the beautiful shades of blue. The silver tree branch is a gem! betsey

Anonymous said...

I prefer the first one for its lighting and simplicity. The clouds are caught in the center of the curve of the branch.
Joan

ken schwarz said...

I agree with your sisters. This is a tough call. I absolutely love the simplicity of the first shot but also like number four, which adds a bid more interest and reveals typical coastal elements of the Hawaiian islands. Shot number one would make a nice computer screen "wallpaper" - but still not sure if one beats four!

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm.....tough call I can't decide between #2 and #4

-Nancy

Ken Spencer said...

Nice votes from all of you. I think my favorite is number 1, and my second choice, is number 4, for the reason ken schwarz mentioned, that it gives us more of a sense of the islands. Thank you all! This is always fun for me to see which of my photographs are favorites.

Anonymous said...

#2 is the most balanced composition in my view

Ken Spencer said...

Anonymous: You mention "balance" and I went back and looked at each individual photograph to assess the balance. It was an interesting way to look at the photographs. Thanks.