Saturday, October 21, 2017

Lava, Lava, Lava & More Lava


Well, this will be my last post of photographs from Hawaii.  It has taken me a while to choose from so many landscape photos of the lava fields.  I am absolutely fascinated by the fact that lava flows are everywhere, and they can be so different in their appearance.  It depends on what type of lava is involved.  Some flow like molasses, and other kinds are kind of chunky and they move along the ground as well when they are hot, and when they cool, they are hard as rock.


There are older, gray colored flows, now covered in some places with newer, darker flows.


This is lava in a vertical wall, and it looks gooey, and it is easy to see almost human shapes in the forms.  I cannot imagine how this was formed on a vertical wall!


This is another area of older and newer lava flows, and in the distance you can see vegetation that is growing on the lava.  


This is a completely different type of lava and I have no idea what caused it to form like this.  There is hope for me, however.  I have just purchased "The Roadside Geology of Hawaii" and plan to start reading it to understand these landscapes better.


And here is one of the more liquid lavas, which formed wrinkles as it flowed and cooled.  So now it is time for me to get back to work, and to try and find photographs back here at home.  I do have a few photographs that I have already done, that I know you will love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is amazing to see such a variety of lava landscapes. I used to think of only black rocky mountains. 45+ years ago went to Guadeloupe and saw remains of volcano there.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I agree it is amazing. So much of the island seems to be composed of Lava. It's also amazing that plant life grows from it. I have enjoyed all the photos of Hawaii!! What a beautiful state! Trace