Saturday, August 18, 2007

Tulum!


After the wedding we had one day in Mexico to go exploring, and I have always wanted to see Tulum. I went to Mexico in 1991 with a group to see the Solar Eclipse, but only stayed a week. The other half of the group I was with went on to see archaeological sites, including Tulum which is in a spectacular location on 40 foot high cliffs at the edge of the Carribean Sea. My three sisters and I took a cab down to Tulum from Playa del Carmen where the wedding was. I was so pleased that they wanted to see the ruins as much as I did! Tulúm is the site of a Pre-Columbian Maya walled city serving as a major port for Cobá. While an inscription dated A.D. 564 has been found at the site, most of the structures now visible were built in the Post-Classic Era, between about 1200 and 1450. It is difficult to show the whole site and it's location, from photographing on the ground. I took lots of photographs, including this one, of one of the minor temples, but the photograph does not begin to give a sense of what it is like to be there. Oh for an airplane!

No comments: