Wednesday, April 24, 2024

The Ferns are Coming Up


I love when the first ferns come up out of the ground with their fiddle heads which then unroll.  These plants are so delicate and I never tire of photographing them.  The main fern bank is in front of the house, but some ferns have migrated under the famous Japanese maple tree.  I tried photographing these ferns with my normal camera in color, but I was not impressed with what I was able to get, so I got the camera converted to infrared and I knew these ferns would stand out against the background.  I love the sort of ominous black branches coming in from the top of the frame.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fiddleheads make a great salad. They are so tender.
Love IR photography. Too bad IR film is exceptionally expensive.

Mark

Anonymous said...

I like the fiddlehead ferns done in infrared. I had never eaten a fiddlehead until 2000 when I worked at Max Amore restaurant. Very good but haven’t eaten any since. Betsey