Saturday, June 22, 2024

Montauk Point Lighthouse


This is the amazing and beautiful Montauk Point Lighthouse.  It has an incredible history.  On April 12, 1792, construction on the lighthouse was authorized by the 2nd United States Congress under President George Washington.  It was the first lighthouse in New York State.  I have photographed this lighthouse many times in my career.  For a major project called "A Day in the Life of Long Island" I arranged with the U.S. Coast Guard to be in the "lamp room" where the actual light is, as the sun rose out of the ocean!  That was something I will never forget.  So I haven't been to the lighthouse in a bunch of years, so I drove out there yesterday from East Hampton where we were staying.  I did a lot of photographs while spending most of the day there, and I will be showing them to you in the coming days.  I may call this "Montauk Week."

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I may need a print of this photo. :-) It is wonderful to imagine you being allowed in the lamp room for the ultimate experience.
Joan

ken schwarz said...

The lighting and colors of the this Montauk Point lighthouse scene are very pleasing. I am amazed that so few people were strolling along the property to spoil the shot.

Anonymous said...

It’s unbelievable to think that this lighthouse was authorized by George Washington! I never knew that you were in the “lamp room”years ago. It’s wonderful that your photography credentials have gotten you so may opportunities. Looking forward to more photos…Betsey