Thursday, December 13, 2012

Geminid Meteor Shower

So my friend Stan and I drove out to Southold tonight, about an hour and a half away, to watch the Geminid meteor shower. We met four other amateur astronomers, and we set up cameras to photograph the meteors, and did some observing through my telescope. Meteors are funny - they can appear anywhere in the sky, which means if my camera was pointed south, then we saw them in the west. If I was pointed east, then we saw them in the north. I think Stan and Glenn both got a photograph of a meteor or two, but I didn't get any. I like this shot, though, with a few clouds drifting through the field of stars - it has a lovely feel to it. Please click on the photo to see it larger. The little blue star cluster in the upper right of this photo is the Pleiades, and the bright "star" is Jupiter, and in the lower center are the stars of Orion the hunter, with the three stars on a diagonal representing his belt. Home and asleep by 4 AM. Yawn...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Derrick was out in the middle of the night and saw a beautiful display.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Kind of like fishing....the person next to you gets 4 fish, and you don't get a nibble.

Ken Spencer said...

Yes, these things are really funny like that. You can be in a group, and be facing in one direction, and suddenly from behind you, you hear "Ooooooooh!" and the people behind you were looking in another direction! And so it goes...

Anonymous said...

Down in Florida, Sam had nothing but hydrometeors. New wiper blades work wonders.