Sunday, August 18, 2019

Whoops!


Bummer!  I was driving over to the Post Office yesterday.  I was doing maybe 15 MPH on a two-lane street in the village, and when I was in front of the firehouse, I suddenly noticed this car coming out of a one way street, headed at me from the left side!  I held my breath and thought, "I think he may go behind me," and then I heard the crunch!  Oh man!  The guy got out of his car, and he kept saying "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I just didn't see you." While we were exchanging information, I thought I smelled alcohol on his breath!  I moved a bit closer and it was definitely alcohol.  Here's where I blew it - I should have called the police, but didn't even think of it!  Fortunately the car is still drivable.  It is just a royal pain to go through the repair process. Fortunately the damage didn't involve a crunched door or wheel which would really complicate the repair.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you have to deal with this but thankful it was not your driver's door. You should have called police, but understandable when you are caught off guard in a freak accident.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Oh dear...what a pain in the neck! But luckily you didn't GET a pain in your neck, aka "whiplash"!! Sorry about this!! What a way to end the summer...on a bummer!! Babs

ken schwarz said...

Ouch! Hopefully, the damage does not involve anything more than replacing the rear bumper cover. But a hit like that could impact the frame. Will his insurance cover the cost of repair and your insurance deductible? Good luck!

Several years ago, I got rear ended at a stop light. The damage was not too bad but my car needed a new trunk lid. The funny part: the driver was young female lawyer - case closed!

Ken Spencer said...

Primo: It's worse than it looks. The lower quarter panel is ruined, and the driver's side end of the bumper is trashed, and the gas cap is sticking out, because the panel above the lower quarter panel is pushed in a bit. The tail light is sticking out from the side of the car as well. The agent at my insurance company said that because the impact was so far back on my car, I was off the hook in terms of whether or not I caused the accident, which I didn't of course.