Monday, October 1, 2012

Captains Courageous

So my friend Ken has been sailing since he was a young boy. I didn't come to sailing until after I started working on Long Island. We had a Lightning sailboat for about 6 years, and sometimes I miss being out on the water. For about 5 years Ken had a magnificent 32-foot Sabre sailing yacht, but I never got to sail on it. He has salt water in his veins, so now he has access to a J 22 sloop, and we took the boat out on Charleston Harbor the other day. We started out with gentle breezes at the beginning, but then the wind picked up, and then we were rewarded with a great sail. I was amazed at how long it took me to feel comfortable again at the helm when the wind picked up. But it gradually came back, and it was a great day on the water.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you got the chance to sail. Guess it's like riding a bike :-) bsk

Ken Spencer said...

Yes it is, but it was a bit "wobbly" at first!