Thursday, October 4, 2012

Spanish Moss Week

I still have a ton of photographs from Charleston, so I will be posting some for the next week, I think. Spanish Moss makes me nuts, it is so beautiful! There were a number of places where the moss was on the trees - I have showed you one scene already, and here is another. I have trouble putting into words the feeling that I get from this, but it feels mystical, or haunting and seems to conjure up ghosts. It is interesting that "spanish moss" is neither Spanish OR moss - it is not related to either moss or lichens. It is an "air plant" which absorbs nutrients (especially calcium) and water from the air and rainfall. I won't really post Spanish moss photos all week, but I do have a bunch of them. You might want to click on this to see it in a larger size.

No comments: