Saturday, April 12, 2008

What Is It About This?


So here's the story: After my bike ride the other day I stopped at the park by the water to drink in the day. When I got up to leave I happened to notice some bricks piled up on the rocks below. It looked like something that kids would have done. I was in a hurry, and had to leave, so I didn't have time to come back with a camera. I thought that when the tide came in, the bricks would probably be OK, and I could come back the next day and photograph the scene. Well, I went down there this morning, which was two days later, and the bricks were all gone! So I decided to reconstruct things as I remembered them. This is what I came up with. It seemed too important a photograph to miss out on. So here's the part I don't understand: Why are these bricks arranged in a natural landscape so arresting? Is it that we are taken by evidence that others have been here before us, even if it was just a child? I am not sure, but this seems like one of my more powerful images in a while.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I think your point is very true: It's meaningful to be lost in nature, and then notice that humans have come before and left their mark. I found that a lot on Ditch Plains beach in Montauk, in the misty mornings walking along the abandoned beach, we'd find piles and piles of rocks, made into towers by people before us. I also like this because it looks like a shot of some Tulum ruins, seen from a distance...