Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Ghost Bike


I found this walking up sixth avenue yesterday. Stopped me in my tracks, it did. I love all kinds of bicycles and this one was an attention getter! Especially because EVERYTHING was painted white - frame, seat, and the tires! Upon closer inspection it was obvious that it must have been some kind of advertising thing, because there are no brakes on it, no shifters, and no chain! Somehow that was a disappointment. I love bikes that you can actually ride. But this oddity did brighten my day. ADDENDUM: Please read the two comments that were added to the blog today, from my daughter Amy and her friend Jen. This is called a "Ghost Bike" and here is the information, from the ghostbike.org website:

Ghost Bikes are small and somber memorials for bicyclists who are killed or hit on the street. A bicycle is painted all white and locked to a street sign near the crash site, accompanied by a small plaque. They serve as reminders of the tragedy that took place on an otherwise anonymous street corner, and as quiet statements in support of cyclists' right to safe travel.

The first ghost bikes were created in St. Louis, Missouri in 2003, and they have since appeared in at least 30 cities throughout the world. For those who create and install the memorials, the death of a fellow bicyclist hits home. We all travel the same unsafe streets and face the same risks; it could just as easily be any one of us. Each time we say we hope to never have to do it again -- but we remain committed to making these memorials as long as they are needed.

3 comments:

cheesedip said...

the last time i saw a white bike chained up like that was in brooklyn at the site of a tragic accident and it was set up as a memorial, this photo brought that day back for me. hopefully it is not the case for this bike. jen syed

Amy said...

I thought the same thing, there was one on Houston and West Broadway as a memorial for an accident where a cyclist was killed. So...I did a quick search and there is a New York Times story about them. It seems to be the case that they are all memorials, and you can find info at ghostbikes.org.

So sad, but an effective way to remind people of what happened, to be careful and to be grateful to be alive...

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you, thank you, both! I do remember reading about Ghost Bikes in Bicycling Magazine, but it never occurred to me that I would see one. What a stunning memorial for a terribly sad event.