Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Book


OK, here is an AMAZING story. On the way to Manhattan on the Long Island Railroad I saw this man reading his book. But the book looked different from any book I had ever seen. The pages were yellowed with age, and the covers of the book looked more like a picture frame, rather than a bound book. I grabbed a couple of snapshots, and then when we got up to leave the train, I asked him about his book, saying that I had never seen a book like that - it looked home-made. He told me this amazing story. Two hours before, he had just been given this book by his 94 year-old grandfather, who had been in WWII. His grandfather had talked about his youth, but had never spoken of the war. His grandfather said that he had written about his unit's experiences during WWII and added the pages to his book as he had written them. This man said he was a screenwriter and was just starting to read the book, in hopes there were stories he could use in his screenwriting. I was blown away! I am SO glad I took the time to ask about the book. I wonder what stories he will discover.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing! I am so glad you stopped to talk with him. What a wonderful story he can review that will live on forever!
Joan