Sunday, February 21, 2010

Riding Around In The Car


On the trip to Rochester for Thanksgiving, I picked up a stalk of these when I stopped to photograph the ruins of the burned farmhouse. I tossed it on the back shelf of the car and have been driving around with it there all this time, always thinking that one day I would photograph it. Today was the day. I remember this plant as a child, but I can't remember if my mom grew these. (my sisters will jump in here and tell me if she did...) Anyhow, it is called a Chinese lantern Plant, and it can also be known as a Japanese lantern plant. I took it out in the side yard, and held it up in the sunlight with the snow in shadow as the background. It ends up looking like the sky, but it's not. I think I love the dried, twisted leaves as much as the orange lanterns. Be sure and click on this image to see it with much better color.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did think you took this great photo against a beautiful blue sky! I remember Japanese lanterns but don't remember them growing in are yard although we always had a bouquet in the house in the fall. Maybe fron Aunt June.
Joan