Monday, March 29, 2010

Cedarmere Grist Mill


I was driving through Roslyn today, on the way back from the Apple store when this scene flashed by quickly. There was something about the mist and the fog that registered, so I turned around and went back. I guess I spent half an hour looking for different views of the scene - from up high on the sidewalk, and then down to the level of the pond. This is my favorite, but I did find some other things that were pretty nice. I just love the rain and the fog and the atmospherics. Grabs me every time. This is the Grist Mill at the former home of William Cullen Bryant, on the shore of Hempstead Harbor. They are going to restore this building, which is important - it is a beautiful structure.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'very always assumed this was a "decorative" addition to the WCB historic estate, not functional. It is on a pond however, and could have worked. Did it ever have wheels, grinding stones. Why would it, if there was a functioning grist mill less than a mile away? Anybody know?
Jerry Malloy