Friday, March 5, 2010

"Hail Mary"


I passed this golf course yesterday and saw the pattern of the melting snow and the trees. It caught my eye, but the sun was out and I didn't like the bright blue sky and the bright sun. Today when I came by on my bike there were high clouds in the sky and the sunlight was muted. So I got off my bike and tried to shoot the scene. Only thing was, there was a chain link fence, covered with vines between me and the scene. It was 5 feet high, and I had no way to see through it, or get up high enough to get over it. So I reverted to an old news photographer trick. I held the camera as far over my head as I could, and aimed it in the general direction and made an exposure. The beauty of a digital camera, is that I can then look at what I shot, and try aiming again until I get it right. This is called a "hail mary" and I should mention that the term is offensive to some. I learned the technique from an old timer, about 40 years ago. It can save your day by allowing you to look over people or objects in your way, and still get the picture.

No comments: