Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Larger Bear


Ursa Major, "The larger bear," or, as we more commonly know the grouping of stars, The Big Dipper. I was out under the stars last night, for the first time in 6 months or so. Wonderfully clear night, out on the east end of Long Island, in Southhold. In this picture, you can see the building and the dome of Custer Institute, where I go to observe. They have a large telescope in the dome, but I use my telescope with a 10" diameter mirror, in the side yard. I mention Ursa Major, not because that group of stars is in this photograph, but because I started my observing with that constellation, and enjoyed views of some amazing galaxies. I was freezing after three hours, and so headed for home, a drive that takes an hour and a half. Got home at 2 AM, so today I am whipped. It was all worth it! Please click on this image for a larger one - when that image opens, you can see the stars in the sky more easily.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photo!
Joan

Trace said...

Spectacular!!

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you! It was COLD out there after 3 hours...

Anonymous said...

AMAZING PICTURE!!!! It is breathtaking...and getting the shot was probably incredible..
Given the same opportunity I would've done the same thing. The sky was so beautiful Fri, Sat and Sun. The crispness of the air and approaching spring seem to make the contrast of the stars and the darkness more compelling, humbling and joyful. Thank you for braving the cold.