Monday, August 2, 2010

Mitch Miller, 1911 - 2010


Do you remember my post with the photograph of George Steinbrenner last month? Well, before I photographed him for my "Born on the Fourth of July" project, I photographed Mitch Miller. He was the first person I contacted after I made up my list, and without hesitation, and without asking who ELSE was going to be part of the project, he said: "yes." A number of other people wanted to make sure that people more important than them would be included. He could not have been nicer, and agreed to be photographed with the American Flag and the sparkler, while clutching the cigar in his teeth. It was really nice to get to meet him. I had no idea at the time how many incredible things he had done in the music business! I was blown away when reading the NY Times obituary today, and seeing all his accomplishments. Isn't it nice that someone so famous can be so kind.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing man who lived a long life. Nice to read your comments. You are very fortunate to have met wonderful people along your journey and work. Great photo....and you found it quickly!
Joan

Anonymous said...

Just seeing the spectacular shot made me shed a tear for both the man and for the "time" he represented.

In what year did you make the image?

Ken Spencer said...

Good question... As Joan said, it lucky I could even FIND the photograph... I am guessing that I made this series of photographs in about 1987-88. I am away at the moment but will check for you when I get home, and post the actual date here. Thanks for playing "stump the photographer..." :-)