Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Re-Projection, Hoosac, 2010




This piece is called "Re-Projection: Hoosac, 2010" by Tobias Putrih. It is an absolutely stunning sculpture. It is pure simplicity in terms of materials, and construction, and brilliant in what happens when you walk around it. Just stunning! It is built in a room about a hundred feet long, and consists of several hundred pieces of monofilament line attached to opposing walls. Then it is lit by one simple spotlight. That's all. But to come up the stairs into this room will stop you in your tracks! As you move even the slightest bit, the reflections move back and forth along the lines. I couldn't tear myself away from this - I kept coming back. I photographed it by itself, and then with people interacting with it. I could NOT decide which photo was the best, so I have done the unusual thing of posting three photographs, so you can see how different the piece appears, depending on where you observe it from.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fascinating. The third picture looks like a scene from 'Close Encounters'. Isn't that Richard Dreyfus on the right?
Polly